Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Hear a documentary on the life and music of the unique Sun Ra on Radio National's 'Into The Music'. Saturday, September 5 at 5pm."
The Other Worlds of Sun Ra (playlist)
http://abcjazz.net.au/player (how to listen online)
that is going to be saturday, sept. 5th, 2010 at 5pm, australian time, so adjust that to your local time to listen. i did not see any archive link at their site, so this may be 'listen or miss it' thing.
Sunday, August 29, 2010
recent and forthcoming activities ...
- PaNoPTiCoN has published the "Catwalks" compilation
- HABEMUS PAPAM has recorded eight tracks with the help of Eric Renwart at Studio Molière,
- PaNoPTiCoN has published its second and last volume of our performance during the 21st Jazz Jette June Festival.
- LANDING GRACE has finalized the recording of some songs from the band's repertoire in order to release a short demo
On saturday 4th september, HABEMUS PAPAM will share the bill together with ANTICHRONIQUE and GURUMANIAX at MAGASIN 4, 51B Avenue du Port in Brussels.
On wednesday 15th september, PaNoPTiCoN will comeback on stage and will open its sixth season at BONNEFOOI, 8 Rue des Pierres in Brussels.
The line up will include Catherine Smet (piano), Yves Dellicour (bass clarinet, soprano sax), Pierre Mottet (bass) and myself (myself).
Show will start at 10:00pm. Free entry.
On friday 24th september, PaNoPTiCoN will participate for the second time at ULB'S NOCTURNE. The band will perform on the world music stage at around 8:30pm.
The musicians involved on this special occasion should be Martin Daniel (keyboards), Fabrice Fardelli (guitar), Constantin Papageorgiadis (bass), and random musicians from the Rambi Bambo fanfare.
On monday 4th october, PaNoPTiCoN will go to Saint Ghislain in order to present their craft in improvising music. We will play at the PASSÉ SIMPLE, 34 Place Albert Elisabeth, at around 9:00pm.
Expected musicians will include Christophe Bouquelle (guitar), Olivier Catala (bass), Jean-Jacques Duerinckx (sopranino and bariton), Antoine Guenet (keyboards) and myself (it's me again).
A warm thank you for all your kind support,
The Steve Vai festival that will be held in Groningen, NL from October 20 to 24, has annouced its programme: http://www.stevevaifestival.nl/en
Also note that there will be a Steve Vai Festival compilation on december 6 and 13, 2010 during the Dutch Radio show 'Radio 6 live'at 11 pm.
September 14, Steve Vai will join Rickey Minor and The Tonight Show Band at Jay Leno's Tonight Show.
Steve Vai will be performing the music of Jimi Hendrix on the "Experience Hendrix Tour" which kicks off in Pittsburgh on October 26th!
Here are the tour dates:
Oct 26 - Pittsburgh, PA - Benedum Theater
Oct 28 - Toronto, ON - Sony Center
Oct 29 - Quebec City, QUE - Grand Theatre
Oct 30 - Montreal, QUE - Place des Arts
Nov 2 - Buffalo, NY - Center for the Arts
Nov 3 - Morristown, NJ - Community Theatre
Nov 4 - Mashantucket, CT - MGM Grand @ Foxwoods
Nov 6 - Albany, NY - Palace Theater
Nov 7 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theater
Nov 9 - Hershey, PA - Hershey Theatre
Nov 10 - New York, NY - Beacon Theatre
Nov 11 - Baltimore, MD - Hippodrome
Nov 12 - Richmond, VA - Landmark Theater
Nov 13 - Atlantic City, NJ - Caesars Casino (Steve will not be performing this date)
Nov 16 - Columbus, OH - Palace Theater
Nov 17 - Cincinnati, OH - Taft Theater
Nov 18 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theater
Nov 19 - Merrilville, IN - Star Plaza Theater
Nov 20 - Indianapolis, IN - Murat Theatre
More info on http://www.experiencehendrixtour.com/
This live in Minneapolis album will be available on coloured vinyl (one red and one blue disc), and the first 777 copies will be signed by Steve and will include a t-shirt, a meet-and-greet pass, and more.
Available on September 14, 2010.
Pre-order and extra info at Vai dot com.
- Jimi Hendrix: Live In Europe '66-'70 6CD BOX (RG 7001CD)
(various European live concerts & radio & TV appearances from 1969 & 1970)
- Jimi HendrixJimi In Rehearsal: A Collection Of Antiques & Curios 5CD BOX (RG 7002CD)
(rehearsals, apartment jams & interview)
- Jimi Hendrix: The Late Studio Sessions 1969-1970 5CD BOX (RG 7003CD)
(studio stuff from 1969 & 1970)
And it's not just the quality of the recordings that is exceptional. There's some pretty rare stuff among it as well.
A nice opportunity to catch up on some live Beefheart.
One guy, a guitar, and a backing track.
This was nice.
As it was one of the pre-party concerts, there wasn't much of a crowd, but those of us who where there, were impressed.
Picture by Al Fresco
LiLo (lead guitar) & tape (rhythm guitar, keyboards, bass, drums)
Zapmosphere, Soup 'N Old Clothes, Heavy Duty Judy, Beat It With Your Fist, Treacherous Cretins, Stinkfoot, Watermelon In Easter Hay, That Ol' G Minor Thing Again, Amnerika
The Muffin Never Stops
An audience recording of this concert is being seeded at Zappateers
- lilo: zapmospheres
(2010, cdr, fr, private release)
Lilo brought some copies of his "Zampospheres" album to Zappanale.
The disc offers the tracks that you can find on his MySpace site, plus one.
(Anyone knows the title of track number nine?)
I was very impressed with Lilo's Zappanale concerts. The "Zapmospheres" album presents the tracks in perfect sound & quality.
It's a must-have for the ZGA (Zappa Guitar Aficionado).
This album deserves a record deal ! But in the meantime, this CDR will do nicely.www.myspace.com/lilosolo
Stefano Bollani is an italian jazz pianist. He recorded Zappa's 'Let's Move To Cleveland' on his "Smat Smat" album, and he also performed 'Eat That Question' live in concert.
I can only imagine what his "Sheik YerZappa" will be, but it sounds like something that I don't want to miss.
I know, that's still 6 months to go, but you can already buy your ticket...
Friday, August 27, 2010
May 20, 2010, Dutch VPRO Radio 6 did a broadcast of the April 11 Groningen concert.
An excellent performance in FM quality.
A recording of this FM broadcast is being seeded on Zappateers.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
The orchestra performed some Zappa pieces alongside compositions of Jan Mikael Vainio, Shodekeh (a beatbox solo piece), and of Philip Glass.
Zappa - Dupree's Paradise
Zappa - Be-Bop Tango
Zappa - Outrage at Valdez
Zappa - G-Spot Tornado
Jan Mikael Vainio - Fujiko's Fairy Tale
Shodekeh - Beatbox Solo
Glass - Symphony No. 4, "Heroes"
An audience recording of (most of) this concert got seeded on Zappateers
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
- sebkha chott: nigla[h] - tapisseries fines en xxx scripts et lxx/x trompettes
(2008, cd, fr, musea records)
"Niglah" is Sebkha-Chott's third album. It has 72 tracks, but I think it's better to say that the entire album consists of one track that has ben cut into 72 (sometimes almost random) pieces.
My ears tell me that this is my favourite Sebkha-Chott album. Short pieces, lots of changes, lots of energy...
Here's one of the band's more recent videos...
- various artists: paul buff presents the pal and original sound studio archives, vol.20
(2010, download, -, crossfire publications)
"Paul Buff Presents - Volume 20" concludes Crossfire Publications research into Paul Buff's Cucamonga era.
Quite a ride.
Who could have thought that we would get the chance to listen to this material so many years after it got recorded.
Again, this volume features Uncle Frank contributions: he engineered The Tornadoes' 'Malaguena', there's an interview with FZ where he discusses the period at PAL Studios, and there's the PAL Studio Band's version (with Zappa) of the Zappa penned 'Never On Sunday'.
Available as download-only album from CDBaby:
- the tornadoes: malaguena (dark eyes)
- the masters: t bone (undubbed mono mix)
- big brother featuring ernie joseph: e.s.p. (second single version)
- strawberry sac (aka crystal circus): the difference between us
- the bongo teens: baja bongos (mono lp version)
- the hollywood persuaders: yes, i want to dance (single version)
- the masters: sunday blues (outtake 1)
- the buff organization: tarzan
- the hollywood persuaders: sunset strip (alternate version)
- the buff organization: windows (paul/allison buff vocals)
- the hollywood persuaders: tijuana (original stereo mix)
- the buff organization: the parrot goose song
- the hollywood persuaders: drums (single version)
- the hollywood persuaders: agua caliente (hot water) (demo)
- the buff organization: studio 'a' (stereo mix)
- the buff organization: upside down world (stereo mix)
- the masters: toothpick boogie (mono mix)
- sonny wilson: my proudest possession (demo)
- the hollywood persuaders: drums a-go-go (demo)
- the rotations: like surf (fragment)
- frank zappa: frank zappa interview
- the pal studio band: never on sunday (1963 version)
- various artists: paul buff presents the pal and original sound studio archives, vol.19
(2010, download, -, crossfire publications)
Here's more goodies from Crossfire Publications. All from Paul Buff's kitchen.
Check it out at CDBaby.
FZ composed and performed on Bob Guy's "Letter From Jeepers", plus this volume also includes a longer version of The Pal Studio Band's "Fountain Of Love".
- the friendly torpedoes: nothing's too good for my car (stereo mix)
- the rotations: the cruncher (alternate mix)
- johnny barakat and the vestells: go surfer mo (el zebra)
- the hollywood persuaders: organ stomp
- bob guy: letter from jeepers
- the velveteens: johnny's jump
- the bongo teens: forget it
- the sonny wilson band: cotton pickin' rock
- paul buff: she's got a 60 cycle brain (demo)
- gene gray and the stingerays: surfer's mood
- the buff organization: summer avenue
- strawberry sac (aka crystal circus): in relation
- strawberry sac (aka crystal circus): merry-go-round
- the hollywood persuaders: persuasion (lp version)
- the masters / chester martin: come back my love (single-tracked vocal)
- the hollywood persuaders: tijuana (stereo lp mix)
- the pal studio band: fountain of love
- the friendly torpedoes: so long ago (stereo mix)
- ricky dean: blue christmas day
- the hollywood persuaders: cruisin'
- the buff organization: upside down world (demo - version 7)
- paul buff: piano 3
- paul buff: darling it's true (version 2)
- sebkha chott: nagah-mahdi - opuscrits en quarante-huit rouleaux
(2006, cd, fr, musea records)
There's nothing like a bit of Sebkha-Chott to get your adrenaline going. Weird tempos and a mixture of every possible musical style. That's Sebkha-Chott.
I already told you that I was very impressed by their Zappanale concert a couple of weeks ago. The only thing that I can add is that you really have to check them out.
"Nagah-Mahdi" is a good place to start. Or maybe not. :-)
This is great stuff.
Here's a 2008 promotional video...
July 29, 2010, the Orchestra Spaciale big band did a performance entitled "All You Need Is Zappa", with a program that mixes Beatles tunes and Zappa singalongs.
An audience recording of this concert is being seeded at Zappateers.
2010/07/29 concert "Nonsole Jazz Festival", Malè, Trentino, Italy
Giorgio Casadei (direzione, chitarra elettrica, arrangiamenti) * Raffaella Berto (voce solista) * Massimo Semprini (sax contralto, sax tenore) * Marco Zanardi (sax baritono, clarinetto) * Ivan Valentini (sax soprano, sax contralto) * Alessio Alberghini (sax tenore, sax soprano, flauto) * Manolo Nardi (tromba) * Luca Marianini (tromba) * Simone Pederzoli (trombone) * Giordano Bruno Tedeschi (trombone) * Marco Belluzzi (tastiere, voce) * Luca Cotti (basso, voce) * Alessandro Lamborghini (chitarra elettrica) * Dencs Daniel Csaba (batteria)
the program: "All You Need is Zappa"
intro, Stick It Out, Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Taxman, I'm Only Sleeping, Holiday in Berlin, How Could Be Such a Fool, RDNZL, Let me Take You To the Beach, Got to Get You into my Life, Come Together, Oh No - Orange County Lumber Truck, Something, band intro, Tomorrows Never Knows
- various artists: paul buff presents the pal and original sound studio archives, vol.18
(2010, download, -, crossfire publications)
Fifty years ago, Paul Buff was running his PAL Studio in Cucamonga. Jump back in time with Crossfire Publications and listen to another impressive batch of recordings.
- the hollywood persuaders: drums a-go-go (stereo mix)
- the tornadoes: bumble bee stomp
- paul buff: the girl i'd like to marry
- the buff organization: new theme
- the masters: come back my love (backing track)
- paul buff: organ 1
- the bongo teens: the happy surfer
- the buff organization: the square (mono mix)
- johnny fisher: dream tonight (first stereo mix)
- the masters: t bone (outtake 1 - stereo mix)
- paul buff: piano 4
- the music machine: masculine intuition
- the tornadoes: johnny b. goode
- paul buff: organ 3
- johnny barakat and the vestells: 5-4-3-2-1 surf!
- paul buff: betty jane (backing track with flute)
- the music machine: wrong
- birmingham sunday: mr. waters (the judge)
- hunger!: workshop (revised lp version - edit)
- frank zappa / steve allen: cyclophony (edit)
- the friendly torpedoes: nothing's too good for my car (intro insert)
- the buff organization: dance with the chickens
- sonny wilson: sonny wilson fragment
- paul buff: circus time again
- terri & the velveteens: i'm waiting (demo)
You can read the liner-notes and order the album at CDBaby:http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/paulbuffpresents15
- Olli Virtaperko: cello & leading, composition, arranging
- Veli Kujala: accordion, midi accordion
- Eira Karlson: violin
- Aija Kankaanranta: kantele
- Ere Lievonen: cembalo, toy piano, melodica, celestette & arranging
- Susanne Kujala: organ, melodika & celestette
- Joni Leino: percussion, Glockenspiel
- Napoleon Murphy Brock: vocal, flute
- Night School (arr. Ere Lievonen)
- RDNZL (arr. Virtaperko)
- Son Of Orange County (arr. Virtaperko)
- Dupree's Paradise (arr. Virtaperko)
- The Black Page (arr. Virtaperko & Lievonen)
- Kalkkeen meri ahtona (duo for kantele & accordion)
- Continuum (harpsichord solo)
- Questa storia del mago non mi convince
-- interval --
- Immortal Coils (3rd Movement of organ solo Dawkins (2008))
- Pirun keuhkot (The Devil's Lungs ; accordion solo)
- Zoot Allures (arr. Virtaperko)
- Big Swifty (arr. Virtaperko)
- Napoleon's Entrance Music
- The Idiot Bastard Son (arr. Virtaperko)
- ABC (Napoleon solo)
- Gymnopedie not.1 (arr. Tom Trapp)
- Extract from Concert for arpsichord in D (Napoleon & Olli)
- Montana (arr. Virtaperko)
-- encores --
- Let's Make The Water Turn Black
- Igor's Boogie
- Echidna's Arf (Of You)
- Lines and Protuberences
An audience recording of this concert got seeded at Zappateers
And it's not just two concerts.
Both of these are from 1998 (!), and it's video (!!).
1998/08/13 SWR clinic at Musician's Workshop, Manalapan, NJ
- Mike Keneally * Bryan Beller * Jason Harrison Smith * Bob Tedde * Marc Ziegenhagen
- Cardboard Dog, Potato, SWR Talk, Voyage To Manhood, Top Of Stove Melting, SWR Talk, Cowlogy
An audience video recording of this clinic got seeded at Zappateers
1998/10/25 concert 'Upstair's at Nick's', Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, usa
- Mike Keneally: guitar & vocal * Bryan Beller: bass * Marc Ziegenhagen: keyboard * Jason Harrison Smith: drums * Bob Tedde: guitar & vocals * Peggy Totzke: vocals
- 'Cause Of Breakfast, Killer Fish, Frozen Beef, Open Up!, My Dilemma, Spoon Guy, Uglytown, Immigrant Song, Uglytown, Strange Impulse, Looking For Nina, I Drum-Running Am Clapboard Bound, Rosemary Girl, Pencil Music
Lightnin' Roy, Voyage To Manhood, Top Of Stove Melting, Beautiful, Them Dolphins is Smart, 1988 Was A Million Years Ago, Yep Them Dolphins is Smart Alright, Bullys, Missile Dick, Tranquillado, Career-Quimby, I Can't Stop, I'm So Tired, Inca Roads, Cardboard Dog, Vent, Pretty Enough For Girls, Taster, Potato
An audience video (with soundboard audio) recording of this concert got seeded at Zappateers
- sun ra: strange worlds in my mind - rare sun ra space poetry vol.1
(2010, cd, usa, norton records cd-365)
- sun ra: the sub-dwellers - rare sun ra space poetry vol.2
(2010, cd, usa, norton records cd-366)
- sun ra: the outer darkness - rare sun ra space poetry vol.3
(2010, cd, usa, norton records cd-367)
Look what I found...
It's a bootleg box; it's entitled "7 Weeks in London", and it includes 35 CDs and 3 DVDs !!
Factory pressed bootleg stuff. And it does sound pretty good as well.
All from the 2007 Earth Tour Londond concerts.
The box includes 7 CD/DVD jewel case boxes, and each of these includes a bunch of CDs and/or DVDs: 35 CDs and 3 DVDs in total.
There's nothing like being surrounded by the music that you like.
So yesterday, a stack of Prince bootlegs moved to their new home. And while I was at it, I pasted them into the United Mutations Archives as well.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
The program looks very interesting and I know about a lot of people that will be attending. It should be fun.
I won't be there myself, but I do hope that I'll get my hands om some pictures and maybe even a review...
I've heard that the 'golden ticket' is already sold out, so if you want to go, don't hesitate and get your tickets in time.
2010/11/05 - 2010/11/07
Frank Zappa at the Roundhouse
- Gail Zappa, Ali N. Askin, Todd Yvega & Frank Filipetti (Q&A) - 5.30pm - Studio Theatre
- London Contemporary Orchestra - The Yellow Shark & Roundhouse Music Collective - Wild Imaginings (Performance) - 7pm - Main Space
- Zappa Disco Mash Up with DJ Dave Gamble (Aftershow) - 9.45pm - Foyers
- Uncle Meat (Film) - 10am - Studio Theatre
- A Token Of His Extreme (Film) - 12pm - Studio Theatre
- Dub Room Special (Film) - 1.30pm - Studio Theatre
- Does Humor Belong In Music? (Film) - 3.15pm - Studio Theatre
- The Mighty Boosh Band - - 3.30pm - Main Space
- Dweezil Zappa, Gail Zappa, Joe Travers, Ian Underwood, Jeff Simmons & Scott Thunes (Q&A) - 3.30pm - Main Space
- Video From Hell (Film) - 4.30pm - Studio Theatre
- Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa (Performance) - 7pm - Main Space
- Zappa Disco Mash Up with DJ Flula (Aftershow) - 10.45pm - Foyer
- The Amazing Mr. Bickford (Film) - 10.10am - Studio Theatre
- The Torture Never Stops (Film) - 11.20am - Studio Theatre
- Peefeeyatko (Film) - 1.30pm - Studio Theatre
- 200 MOTELS (Film) - 2.40pm - Studio Theatre
- The True Story of the Making of 200 MOTELS (Film) - 4.30pm - Studio Theatre
- An Audience with Scott Thunes & Jeff Simmons (Q&A) - 5.30pm - Studio Theatre
- London Sinfonietta and special guests perform Greggery Peccary (Performance) - 7pm - Main Space
- Jeff Simmons (Performance) - 7pm - Main Space
- Zappa Disco Mash Up with DJ Dave Gamble (Aftershow) - 9.30pm - Foyers
2010/11/05 - 2010/11/07
- AAAFNRAA (Exhibition) - 10am - Venuewide
- Royal Academy of Music Manson Ensemble (Performance) - 8pm - Duke's Hall
Monday, August 23, 2010
Rubatong is a rather new Dutch band.
- Tatiana Koleva: vibes, percussion
- René van Barneveld: guitar
- Han Buhrs: vocals
- Luc Ex: acoustic bassguitar
RUBATONG was put together by Han Buhrs in 2006.
Sure, the musical backgrounds of the members of this quartet differ substantially: there's an improvising bassist that once started off playing punk, a percussionist who is usually engaged in performing the sophisticated precission of contemporary classical music, a guitarist that is known for mixing rock and rap music, but never abondoned his lyrical options and a vocalist that will tempt anything between raw throat sounds and singable language -be it english, dutch or french- to become a song.
That's Rubatong, in theory, that is.
But there's more: this quartet appears to be able to unite around crystal-clear little tunes as well as loud collective rhythmes and sound bursts, thus providing a wide dynamical range within its repertoire.
The diversity of their musical backgrounds is not a leading principle for the Rubatong musicians. It's just usefull information that they bring in during rehearsals.
So after all the most striking characterization of Rubatong is the fact that it's a band. A band that ingeniously scrapes and sands their ideas untill a remarkably ideosyncratic music emerges.
Han Buhrs performed and recorded with Palinckx, René van Barneveld was part of Urban Dance Squad and Luc Ex was the frontman of The Ex.
Check out the MySpace page for concert info.
I did get informed that they'll be playing at De PlusEtage in Baarle Nassau, NL, on September 11, 2010.
-- info: Ive Hapers
In the seventies, Sugarcane Harris recorded and toured with a.o. John Mayall, the Pure Food & Drug Act and made a couple of solo releases. In the early eighties, he played with Tupelo Chain Sex.
Tupelo Chain Sex was a 1980's era punk/jazz/rockabilly musical group founded by Willie "Dred" McNeil who also founded the group Jump With Joey. Tupelo Chain Sex recorded only a handful of albums.
Here's a couple of label pictures of their 1984 7":
- tupelo chain sex: dr.nightcall / two cadillacs crash!
(1984, 7", usa, selma)
If you have info (tracklists & pictures) of the other Tupelo Chain Sex releases, I'd be happy to receive them.
Sunday, August 22, 2010
- sheik yerbouti feat. napoleon murphy brock: zappa spielt für bach
(2010, cd, ger, sjs-edition nr.4)
When U.S. band Bogus Pomp performed at the St.Katharinenkirche in Hamburg in 2008, the NDR recorded the concert. One year later, in 2009, the Bach Society released the Bogus Pomp album "Zappa spielt für Bach". All in support for the Bach organ that is being rebuild at the St.KatharinenKirche in Hamburg.
So when Sheik Yerbouti did a concert in 2009, some of us were already hoping that the same scenario would enfold. And here you are: Sheik Yerbouti, feat. Napoleon Murphy Brock: Zappa spielt für Bach.
The second album in a series, I hope.
The album itself is marvellous. Sheik Yerbouti is a top band.
Highly recommended !
And not in the least: Sebkha-Chott.
I had been warned that this would quite be something, and it sure was.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any YouTube Vids of the band's Zappanale performance, but here's a nice little intro to the Sebkha-Chott universe...
- sebkha-chott: de l'existence de la mythologie chottienne en 7 cycles
(2003, cd, fr, musea records)
This is the first Sebkha-Chott album. The band mixed southern european, latin, jazz, metalfunk and whatever music into something that they released on "De l'Existence...".
It absorbed me completely.
Zappa, Residents? Yep, right up that alley...
- caballero reynaldo: kazoo's revenge
(2010, cd, spain, hall of fame records)
Volume 13 is completely dedicated to Caballero Reynaldo (= Luis G.) and his Grand Kazoo Orchestra.
20 Frank Zappa compositions get the country & western treatment: guitar, trombone, mouth harp, hawaian lap steel guitar, ... I'm pretty sure you get the picture.
This sounds very good. Especially Marieta Tamarit's vocals add a beautiful colour to the whole.
And again, a tip to the hat to Román Garcia for the cover art!
(Don't think that the below YouTube movie is a good example of what you'll find on the CD. The CD is 20 times better !!)
- caballero reynaldo: traca / matraca
(2010, cd, spain, hall of fame records)
Volume 12 in the Unmatched series is Caballero Reynaldo's "Traca / Matraca" album. If you get the impression that you're somehow familiar with this album cover, just pull out your copy of "Waka/Jawaka".
As for the music, "Traca / Matraca" presents 18 stripped-down, spanish versions of Frank Zappa classics. Great fun.
- luis miguel (= 'bobby brown')
- el hombre magdalena (= 'muffin man')
- es gay (= 'he's so gay')
- bùscala bien (= 'find her finer')
- duendecilla (= 'goblin girl')
- dentro de ti (= 'i have been in you')
- mi pequeña rosita (= 'a little green rosetta')
- san barcelona (= 'san ber'dino')
- loco club (= 'mudd club')
- las de las monjas (= 'catholic girls')
- guarra (= 'crew slut')
- ma asunciòn (= 'dinah-moe humm)
- stra. pinky (= 'ms pinky')
- en utiel (= 'in france')
- el payaso de moda (= 'packard goose')
- a la mierda (= 'stick together')
- adiòs (= 'harder than your husband')
- el garaje de luis gè (= 'joe's garage')
- absolute ensemble feat. joe zawinul: absolute zawinul
(2009, cd, ger, intuition records int 3456 2)
Six years ago, the ensemble did a superb concert series entitled "Absolute Zappa". The concerts featured Napoleon Murphy Brock and Mike Keneally. I caught them in Köln. Thinking about MK playing the 'Uncle Remus' melody on guitar, still gives me goosebumps...
Too bad that this never got released on album. (the website does offer some of the Zappa pieces on their music player !!).
Anyway, when I received "Absolute Zawinul" as a gift about a month ago, I was really curious to find out what it would sound like.
"Absolute Zawinul" had the Absolute Ensemble working together with Joe Zawinul (of Weather Report fame) and with members of the Zawinul Syndicate. Joe Zawinul insisted that they would record new material. He wanted the project to show the musician he had become, not the musician that he had been.
The result is fabulous. "Absolute Zawinul" is a fine mixture of modern jazz, classical music and world music. I love it.
Joe Zawinul died on September 11, 2007, during the finishing days of the album.
He could not have asked for a more impressive tribute.
- various artists: zappanale 20 - promo-cd
(2010, cd-promo, ger, arf society)
Everyone who ordered their Zappanale ticket in time, received this excellent promotional CD. The album offers 16 tracks. All from bands that have played (or should have played) Zappanale. No wonder that it includes a couple of Zappa compostions as well.
It's a beauty.
Here's the tracklist:
- we insist! : an architect
- the plastic people of the universe: non-stop opera
- lazuli: l'arbre
- sebkha-chott: perros guirrec # ode létale
- osis krull: attique chrome
- schnaak: ontobear
- paul green school of rock: long distance runaround (live @ zappanale 19)
- cpt. cheese-beard & the 7 sisters of prevention: sofa (f.zappa)
- struber z'tett: g-spot tornado (f.zappa)
- sheik yerbouti: joe's garage (f.zappa) (live @ zappanale 14)
- sex without nails bros.: cheepnis (f.zappa) (live @ zappanale 14)
- jazzprojekt hundehagen: son of orange county (f.zappa) (live @ zappanale 19)
- project/object: the evil prince (f.zappa) (live @zappanale 13)
- grandmothers: more trouble every day (f.zappa) (live @zappanale 13)
- mats / morgan band: paltsug (live @ zappanale 15)
- children of invention: florentine pogen (f.zappa) (live @ zappanale 12)