Friday, January 21, 2022

ARNAUD LE GOUËFFLEC & NICOLAS MOOG - UNDERGROUND


When I mentioned (and ordered) this book a couple of days ago, I expected it to be some sort of pocket sized book... Was I wrong...
"Undergound" is a large (24 x 32 cm), hardcover bound book that counts over 300 pages.
It's all bandes dessinées. It's a gigantic comic book presenting short stories about the musical artists that made an everlasting impression on the authors, Arnaud Le Gouëfflec (writer) and Nicolas Moog (artist).

Quite some familiar sounding names in there, as well as lots of names that need some investigation.
The Residents, Sun Ra, Raymond Scott, Merrell Fankhauser, Eugene Chadbourne, Captain Beefheart,...
But also: Colette Magny, Tall Dwarfs, Eliane Radigue,...

The book kicks off with a 5-page story on Moondog, the New York Viking.
I decided to read this book while listening to some of the artists' music. I assume it's intended to do it like this.
I'm already convinced that there are quite some discoveries to be made.

Published by Glénat. In French. More info:

As I said, I started with Moondog.




No comments:

Post a Comment