Saturday, December 25, 2021

PERCUSSION UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A bit over a year ago, the Percussion Under Construction ensemble started a funding campaign for the new album.
I had seen and heard the ensemble at the Zappanale festival, and as I was told that the album would include the ensemble's version of FZ's 'The Black Page', I did not hesitate.
In the meantime, the recording and the artwork is finished and the album has gone in production. It will become available next February.


Supporters of the campaign received a download a couple of days ago, and I can only confirm my initial thoughts: "This is something I need to hear."

Their renditions of both 'The Black Page #1' and "The Black Page #1 & #2' sound great.
'The Black Page #1' starts with a soundscape ('trash percussion and electronics'), featuring none other than Chris Garcia (who has been touring with Don Preston and Bunk Gardner, performing the music of FZ).
'The Black Page #2' also featuring Chris Garcia and is the perfect mix of vibraphone, marimabe, drums and electronics.

The entire album is an excellent listen (and even includes a Scorpions tune), but the Zappa pieces are outstanding !!
Percussion galore. I love it.
Be sure to keep an eye out for this next February !!

No comments:

Post a Comment