Saturday, December 18, 2021

MAGMA - KÖHNZERT ZÛND

  • magma: köhnzert zünd
        (2015, 12cd, france, seventh records)
So here's the story:
We went to see Magma in concert in Leuven (BE) a little while ago. In-between Covid peaks, that is.
Before we went into the actual concert hall, we passed the table with the merchandise. Among the numerous albums, t-shirts, videos and other paraphernalia, the "Köhnzert Zünd" box, a collection of re-issues, 12 CDs in a box, decorated with a magma top. From 2015.

Köhnzert Zünd puts together in a sumptuous box set, all the band's official live shows, recorded between 1975 and 2000.
On top of which are two extra records made of excerpts from shows given between 2005 and 2011, as well as two unreleased records of the 2009 concert given at the Alhambra in Paris.
This release is limited to 5000 copies. Includes 80-page booklet, each disc is kept in its own digisleeve.

I felt tempted but decided to wait until after the concert to buy it. The decision scheme was an easy one: I didn't want to carry the box with me during the concert, and, even more important, I only would buy it if I would like the concert.
Fast forward to the end of the concert and the overcrowded merch table (Magma fans appear to be pretty obsessive when it comes to merchandise...). I politely waited my turn only to be notified that the "Köhnzert Zünd" box was sold out. Completely sold out. These had been the last copies.

Meanwhile, I did find the box online for about the same price but I did have to add postage and EU taxes (from Greece!).
Anyway, I'm glad the package arrived and I'm looking forward to dive into some more Magma. Something that I can only recommend.

-


No comments:

Post a Comment