Monday, November 1, 2010

JOE SATRIANI - BLACK SWANS & WORMHOLE WIZARDS


Joe Satriani is touring. And he brought Mike Keneally along with him to play keyboard in his band.
And although Joe is playing in my neighbourhood (only about fourty-five minutes from where I live), I'm skipping this one. Not because this latest record isn't good, but just because there's too much happening on the moment. I'm already going to see The Residents in a couple of days, and I'll also be paying Zappa Plays Zappa a visit next weekend.
There's just so much going on: there was Alan Holdsworth, Adrian Belew, The Steve Vai Festival, not to mention the Roundhouse Zappa event... which I'd all love to see, but not in the same two weeks...

Anyway, I might not be going to the Joe Satriani concert this evening, but this new CD is fantastic. The threesome that sums it up is 'Littleworth Lane', 'The Golden Room', and 'Two Sides Of Every Story'.
'Littleworth Lane' is is a great instrumental gospel track. It's very recognisable as a Joe Satriani piece, but it has Joe playing the blues like I have not heard it before.
'The Golden Room' has a nice oriental flavour. Not too much, but just enough to add some spice.
'Two Sides To Every Story' is just great. It would be the perfect score for an animated movie. Charlie Brown where are you? Come on out and groove to this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment