Saturday, March 12, 2022

JOHN MCLAUGHLIN AND MAHAVISHNU - ADVENTURES IN RADIOLAND

  • john mclaughlin and mahavishnu: adventures in radioland
        (1986, cd, usa, relativity)
John McLaughlin released "Aventures In Radioland" in 1986.
The above album cover is from the 1993 re-issue.

I've got this on and off relationship with the music of John McLaughlin and Mahavishnu. I love the fusion jazz melodies and guitar playing and I'm a big fan of the Indian influences but I'm no fan of the machine-gun-like note-spitting. My ears like melodies and phrasing...
Anyway, when my buddy Harald told me that "Adventures In Radioland" features synclavier digital guitar, I knew I had to give it a listen.

"Adventures In Radioland" has 10 tracks.
John McLaughllin on guitar, Bill Evans on sax, Mitch Foreman on keyboards, Jonas Hellborg on bass, and Danny Gottlieb on drums.
There are indeed some amazing pieces to be found on "Adventures In Radioland" (contributed by the band members !!), and John's synth guitar playing sounds fabulous. Add the superb sax lines by Bill Evans and Jonas Hellborg's amazing electric bass and you have one great album.. 
Too bad about Danny Gottlieb's sound on the electronic drums, but that might have been an eighties thing. I don't know.

In all, a very nice listening session.


No comments:

Post a Comment