Friday, March 16, 2018

FREAK'S AMOUR - APPEAL TO MY ROCKET

In 1998, experimental rock band Freak's Amour released "Appeal To My Rocket".
Released in a limited run on CDR, the album included a coverversion of Captain Beefheart's 'Orange Claw Hammer'.

Main man behind the project, Stuart Werner, added :

On this recording I interpreted a version of 'Orange Claw Hammer (OCH)'.  I've listened to Captain Beefheart since high school and I had the pleasure to see the Captain in 1980.

The story behind covering "Orange Claw Hammer " is that a friend gave me the printed lyrics to all the material on Trout Mask Replica. I started reading and reciting the lyrics while listening to Trout Mask. I always loved OCH and focused in on that song. I found myself tooling around with some found sounds and loops. I then saw a connection between OCH and the test recordings. I put them together and the results are what you hear on "Appeal ..."


Great stuff !
A superb addition to The Magic Family, bands recording the music of Captain Beefheart.



No comments:

Post a Comment