Tuesday, July 18, 2023

ZAPPANALE SUNDAY - PART TWO

Unfortunately, we missed the opening of Eugene Chadourne's set.
I'm saying 'unfortunately' because the part that we did see was awesome.


When Doc Chad (on banjo) had to replace a broken string on his banjo, Schröder (on drums) started playing The Black Page !!
After Eugene changed to the electric guitar, they did versions of Sun Ra's 'The Satellites Are Spinning', as well as performing songs by Captain Beefheart, by Black Sabbath (War Pigs !), and by Chrissie Hynde.
I loved it.

The main stage kicked off with The Furious Bongos.
Compared to their Thursday concert, they included some harder-to-play songs and they sounded even better.
I thought that maybe I had seen the best concert of the day...



Next up was Ali N Askin's jazz band. I had seen them earlier four or five years ago and still have fond memories of it.
The band did not disappoint. Quite the contrary, actually. They were great. I loved the compositions, the improvisations and the overall sound of the band. A top concert.

(picture taken from Erik Palm's video. I'm sure he doesn't mind.)

After having seen The Furious Bongos, I though that Banned From Utopia would have a hard job. I assumed that they would be playing the same songs and we all know that they're all getting a bit older...
But I never could have imagined this being such an amazing concert.
We did miss the start of the concert (one's got to eat...) but what we saw was top notch.
Compared to all of the other band that we had seen performing the music of FZ, the BFU somehow combined a certain laid-back feeling with playing a very tight set.
Goosebumps !!

Robbie - Ray - Scott - Chad

The final concert was on the Mystery Stage.
The RADZ: SЮR band mixed original compositions with Frank Zappa tunes. All performed in the most original way.
I LOVED IT !!!

(picture by Marco)

What a fine edition of Zappanale.
So many highlights...
Thank you, Zappanale.

No comments:

Post a Comment