Wednesday, July 5, 2023

A SHORT CHAT WITH ROBBIE 'SEAHAG' MANGANO

Robbie ‘Seahag’ Mangano toured and collaborated with The Grandmothers, The Band From Utopia and The Ed Palermo Big Band, to name just three of my favourite Zappa tribute bands. Robbie will be playing guitar with The Ban(ne)d From Utopia who will be headlining Zappanale.

UniMuta : Hi Robbie, I guess I’m catching you just before or just after the Banned From Utopia concerts at The Baked Potato. How is it to be on stage with Ray White, Robert Martin, Scott Thunes, Chad Wackerman and Jamie Kime. Did you already share the stage with each of them during previous occasions?

Robbie Mangano : I am absolutely a rabid FZ fan (for about 30 years now) and have been listening to the alumni and being a fan of all of them for all that time - I've yet to play with Chad or Scott but that will change this afternoon since I'm on the flight to LA to rehearse right now. I've been friendly with Scott since I met him after a Steve Vai show 30 years ago; but he told me recently he has never has heard me play, another thing that will change today. He's one of my fave bassists, if you watch what he does and listen, there’s an extreme amount of seemingly spontaneous arrangement and harmonic interplay with rhythm and melody at the same time as groove and attack.
Chad is one of my fave drummers too. There is an obvious relaxed approach to some of the most technical things he can do, and he always sounds so good to me in his feel and tone. I spoke to Chad on the phone several years ago actually, about proposing a symphony gig at Berklee School of Music in Boston that was supposed to be a show of all FZ music and the conductor and arranger friend of mine, Eric Roth, who wanted me on guitar and Chad on drums…. But the school wouldn’t buy it, so it got put on the shelf. But I’m so looking forward to playing with Chad this afternoon!
Robert Martin is an extreme talent and a dream to work with in all aspects of creative and business aspects, his talent is also laid back and astonishing and he makes it look so damn easy, 
Ray White is such a clear, great singer and also a “beautiful guy” with many tricks up his sleeve you’d never know. Also Ray is a Really Unique Guitarist who has some really interesting experimental ways of tuning and other odd tricks of the guitar that have got me thinking. Of course he has great stories of being in the road in the 70’s and 80’s. Touring with Ray and Robert in 2015 and 2016 along with Albert Wing, Tom Fowler, and Joel Taylor was some of the best times on the road I’ve had, musically. I’m grateful to be pushed into these realms with these players which force me to be a better musician. Overall I'm extremely psyched to be asked to join this version of BFU. It is an honor to play.
Also Jamie Kime is such a great player, I am a fan. He has beautiful tone and it’s just a pleasure to share guitar parts with him, as well as meet him.

UniMuta : With your recent shows with The Mahavishnu Project and now playing with the BFU, you must have flashbacks to the music that you listened to when you were younger. How’s that? Do you still listen to the originals once you’ve performed it yourself?

Robbie Mangano : Funny that you ask this about the Mahavishnu Project- I never listened to Mahavishnu until this year, so the stuff is all new to me. We are performing the "Birds of Fire" album for the 50th university of that release and have many gigs in the east coast of the states right now. When drummer and bandleader Gregg Bendian asked if I was interested I was a little overwhelmed with the study and practice duties I'd need to do to be able to perform this music, but my girlfriend convinced me to take the challenge and I’m happy about that. They are a great bunch of musicians and I'm lucky to be pushed into the improvisational nature of the group along with trading solos back and forth with Neil Alexander on keys and Brian Mooney on bass.
Looking forward to Billy Cobham at the Zappanale as well. Learning Mahavishnu is different than learning Zappa because I can sing FZ songs from memory since I'm already a super fan.
Yes, I listen to the originals of FZ but with Maha I don't necessarily because we are doing a little different interpretations. With FZ there are so many versions of the songs. For instance, the 1988 band's version of ANDY/INCA are the first versions I have ever heard of those songs. Things like that and the arrangements of his various bands are always different, which is the one of the best things about being a Zappa fan. One of the first FZ albums I ever had was YCDTOSA Vol 4. And I'm psyched we're doing some of those versions etc. This is flashback-ish for me, and it’s surreal that these versions featured Chad, Ray, Scott, Robert.

UniMuta : You have been releasing some of your own music through Bandcamp. ‘I Just Can’t Take It No More’, that you made available about a week ago, is a beautiful opposite of a-love song. Sort of Beach Boys Doo Wop with a zappa-esque guitar solo at the end. Love it. And those vocals by Adam Minkoff !! Can we expect more stuff like this in the future?

Robbie Mangano : Absolutely - I’ve been sort of a perfectionist to the point of not releasing music but I have changed my tune on that. I am going to be releasing music very often - It's funny, Minkoff sent me an mp3 of him singing "In the Sky" from a show when he was live in Dweezil’s band. And I just laughed at how in-tune and high it was. I have been doing a lot of projects with Adam since we met in 2010 both performing a massive Captain Beefheart Tribute Benefit show for MS Research. So we always talk of "starting a band" but it hasn’t really happened yet as we do the sideman thing a lot in NYC and it’s kind of hectic to get a band together in that city without costing a bunch of money. We perform original music together every once in a while and we have a whole album that Adam produced recently with mostly all of his original songs and one by me and us on all different instruments with two other guys David Luther and Bob Stander… don’t know when it will be released yet. Adam’s in charge of that.
Anyway, when I heard the "in the sky" mp3 I said - "We Should do a band where you only sing like that" I love the high singing from Lou Christie, Frankie Valli, King Diamond, Roy Estrada, Bob Harris, Tommy Mars, etc. Adam said "OK. Write the songs!" I thought about it and I just kept hearing melodies and lyrics- and would transcribe them to paper then record the demo and send it of to him. He’s returned 4 songs to me with his vocals on it so far. The next song should be out by the end of July I hope. It’s called 'Pizza Pie', and then I will put out 'I'm so Mad' then 'Shut up, Don't Worry'.
Otherwise, I have new stuff to come out featuring one of my fave comedians, Eddie Pepitone; called the 'Baseball Suite' which is nuts. It all be our third release. Honestly I have so much music recorded and not mixed yet and I plan to put it all out; a lot of catching up to do but I am excited to mix and master for my Bandcamp page called Whales Through Space, which is the name of my record company there.

UniMuta : Living in New York City, going to L.A. to play at The Baked Potato, then going to the Zappanale Festival,… Can you find (or do you take) the time to enjoy those different locations can cultures?

Robbie Mangano : Well - I have visited LA since 1999 and I love it there. I have several friends to see but for this trip I am actually in and out in 3 days because I already had plans to be in Wyoming for a few weeks to hang out away from the city and work on some mixes and record. So I go back to WY after the Baked Potato shows, to stick to my plan. Normally I would spend a few more days in LA.
As for Bad Doberan, I have a decent history there! I've played Zappanale since 2002 with Project/Object featuring Ike and Napoleon and on bass with Thana Harris with Bob Harris, Mike Keneally and Don Preston. Then, next in 2009, I played bass with Project/Object and guitar with  The Grandmothers (with Roy, Napi, and Don Preston). And then, with Banned From Utopia with Robert, Ray, Tom Fowler, Albert Wing, and Morgan Argen. Now, 2023, will be my 4th time. Seems like every 7 years average!
I love the festival, the people, the town, and the Molli! This time I’m going to spend 3 days in Berlin after the fest before flying back to NYC. I love Germany. The most touring I have ever done in Europe has been in that country so I feel pretty at home in Deutschland. As a touring musician, with fans greeting you, a musician feels welcome at every venue and hotel and with every promoter in town, so you kind of used to being treated very kindly. So in a way I've never been to Germany as an anonymous tourist, exploring a city- I'm looking forward to that. Taking time to be there and not show up in the lobby for a van, or soundcheck in the early afternoon.
I have a friend who is a great musician from NY who is living in Berlin named Pete Drungle. He is considering booking a show for us to do some improv while I’m there for 3 days but we’ll see if it happens. I’m perfectly fine with NOT playing for a few days, actually! I might need a rest after all this! Anyhow, I enjoy learning a new transit system-the streets, stores,- trying to blend in like a citizen, checking out the way of life of other cultures - I try to make it a point to stay when I have a chance to play different places outside of my home.

UniMuta : It sounds like you have some crazy days and lots of traveling ahead of you. Thanks for taking the time to do this short chat and see you soon !!

Robbie ‘Seahag’ Mangano will be performing with The Ban(ne)d From Utopia,
July 5, at The Baked Potato - early and late show
July 6, at The Baked Potato - early and late show
July 16, at Zappanale - Main Stage


2 comments:

  1. That was a good interview. Always stoked to hear what Seahag is up to.

    ReplyDelete