Friday, July 7, 2023

A SHORT CHAT WITH FRED HÄNDL

If you’re into the music of Frank Zappa, you must have heard of Fred Händl.
Fred has performed and recorded with Zappatika and with Z.E.R.O. He has done shows at Moo-Ah, Zappanale, Mosae Zappa and at several other locations.
Bust most important, he has released a couple of amazing solo albums on which he performed the music of The Moustached Genius.
Time for a Short Chat.


UniMuta : Hi Fred, how are you ? I hear that you’ll be performing twice at Zappanale this year. Once on Friday afternoon with Kevin Crosby as The All New Frankly Don’t-Wop Duo, and then again on Sunday morning. How does it feel to be back performing at Zappanale? Can you share some memories?

Fred Händl : As a huge Zappa fan, I don’t think there is anything more marvelous than the honour to play at THE Zappa Festival. Not only for the music, but also to be amongst thousands of Zappa fans. It’s absolutely amazing! I know you’re a Zappa fan and we’ve met many a time all over Europe, at all different Zappa events. It always feels like a family gathering. Which it is, in some way, of course.
In 2015 I played Zappanale as a member of Zappatika. That was absolutely mind boggling. Not only did we play with the band, but were joined on stage with no less than five (!) former Zappa band members (Craig Twister Steward, Jeff Hollie, Ed Mann, Denny Walley and of course Ike Willis). I have nothing but stunning memories of those days, but the memory that has made the most impact, was that of being so f*cking nervous before the show. We had been on tour the days before and I told Ike that I was nervous about Zappanale, and he just told me: “You’ll do great, Freddie. You know what’s up, don’t forget the break in Joe’s Garage.” (He said that, because I DID forget the break when we played in Paris... something I still don’t like to think about).

Also, the Friday before that gig, I spent a lot of time walking around Bad Doberan with Twister. I told him that I was so nervous about it all. And he said: “There is nothing you can do to stop the train.” (the train being Ike, of course). I’d be lying if I say that that settled my nerves, but I do remember that comment having some kind of impact. After the opening tune (Eat That Question) - that started with a keyboard intro by me - the rest of the concert just flew by. We played well over two hours and I only remember sitting there playing and enjoying, looking at the huge crowd and looking around the stage, seeing all those alumni playing on the same stage. It was magical.

When it was over and we exited the stage, Ike came up to me and said: “I am so fucking proud of you, Freddie.” That was probably the nicest thing someone ever said to me.

UniMuta : From what I can tell, you’re teaching, recording and performing all the time. You even tour in the UK (solo) at least once per year. What do you prefer?

Fred Händl : I am a full-time piano and music teacher and I am in my studio pretty much 6 days a week. The majority of that time I am teaching and in my scarce free time, I indeed like to play and record. Touring the UK once a year is really a super cool bonus. I try to go at least once a year, preferably twice. They are small tours, at small venues and at people’s homes. I love to play my music for small audiences, because of the intimate atmosphere and to be able to connect with the audience. Songs like Watermelon in Easter Hay and Treacherous Cretins are perfect for smaller settings. In answer to what I like best, choosing between teaching, composing and recording, or performing... I must say that I love doing all, but if I had to choose, it’d be performing.
Since this year, I am focusing more on playing house concerts. It hasn’t taken off just yet, because I am still working on getting the word out. But my aim is to do more house concerts in the future and cut down a bit on teaching. But I am in no hurry and if it doesn’t happen, I know I will be just as content continuing what I am doing now.
 
UniMuta :  I like your approach to Frank Zappa’s music. When I’ve seen you playing live, solo, it sounds like you’re searching for the melody while you’re playing. Almost a bit hesitant, coming from different angles. Can you explain how you approach a Zappa piece when you’re performing it live?

Fred Händl : Thank you for that! When I am in my studio, working on an arrangement of a piece, I try to, how to say it, distill the essence of the piece. Often, that is the melody, but sometimes it’s also the harmonies or the ‘feel’ of the piece. As complicated as Zappa’s music is, it is impossible to play all on solo piano. I want to capture that what speaks to me in a piece, and I go from there. Sometimes (for example my solo piano version of Camarillo Brillo), the piece is transformed into something so different from the original, that it is no longer recognisable, at least for someone who doesn’t know the piece very well. Thinking of it, what I try to do, is to grasp Zappa’s beautiful compositions and transform them into a piece for solo piano. For people that know his music, as well for people that like solo piano music. And I believe that Zappa’s pieces, in whatever way they are performed, are masterpieces. Every single one. On a piano, I can’t do drums or a guitar solo, but I use what I have available to get the message across. The message being pretty much: this music is worth it. And it is, of course.

UniMuta : You’re recording a new Frank Zappa tribute album. Have you changed your view on Frank Zappa’s music and on how you want to re-arrange it, compared to your previous albums? How is the new album coming along? Can you already name a few of the compositions that will be on it?

Fred Händl : I am glad you ask this question. Last year, I announced I am working on a new album and it was supposed to be released before the end of next year. When you look at the calendar (shame on me), you can see I didn’t manage. I would like to take this opportunity to tell everybody who ordered a copy that I am sorry for the delay, but even more sorry for not sending updates on the progress. Before Zappanale, I will record and publish a video on my YouTube channel to make my excuses for that, but also with information on the progress. Because, and that’s why I am happy you asked, it is still happening and I am working on it!

One of the reasons that it’s taking so long, is the choice of pieces I made. I am going to record all new tracks and none of them I have played before. I have well underestimated the time to practice this selection of pieces and that’s pretty much the main reason why I am so behind with it all. Confession time: I have even considered to blow the whole thing off and refund all pre-orders, but - and I will elaborate on that in the video - I have come to the decision to go through with it and deliver an album that, when people hear it, will have been worth the wait.

You can best compare the upcoming album with my album entitled Zappa. It will all be solo piano pieces, arranged and performed by me. A piano album that, I hope, will be recognizable for all Zappa fans and at the same time I want it to be an album that people, without any knowledge of Zappa’s music can listen to and enjoy.

I was planning on keeping the track list a bit of a secret, but I feel I owe you at least an answer. So, here you go. I am working on nineteen tracks, and here’s a few titles: Absolutely Free, Fountain of Love, Strictly Genteel, Sofa, Bow Tie Daddy, Aybe Sea and Little Umbrellas. More to be announced ...

UniMuta : Your own music is far more modest and restrained, compared to your renditions of FZ’s oeuvre. Very emotional and sometimes lyrical as well, which is another big difference with FZ’s music, but I do like it. Does it ask a different mindset to record and perform your own music? Is it another part of your musical personality, or does it mix with the FZ material that you’re performing?

Fred Händl : Wow, that’s a good one. Thank you. I really like the way you describe my own music, in comparison with Frank Zappa’s. I don’t, at least not consciously, take on a different mindset when I am playing Zappa’s or my own music. But, as you so pinpointed, it is rather different. The hesitation you might sometimes hear when I play Zappa’s music is there because I want to draw the listener to all the beautiful things that are happening. Zappa didn’t write ‘songs’... They might sound like songs, but - at least to me - they are all compositions. So much more is going on in his music than just some chords, melody and lyrics. By emphasizing certain passages, I try to draw focus to everything else that’s going on in the music. Again, I am pleased and honoured that you mentioned that, for that’s exactly what I try to do. When playing my own music, I let go of any essential (or recognizable) melody and concentrate fully on emotion. I try to tell a story without words. And when I play my music live, the way I tell that story differs from time to time. When I am playing in a more or less noisy environment, what I play will be a lot different than when I play for a smaller audience, for example. But the essence of the piece will always be the same. Or at least I try to achieve such. And that goes as well for when I play Zappa’s music. As an example, just last week I played a Zappa set at an exhibition. I had a setlist made but then realized I had no idea what kind of audience I could expect. Was it going to be busy? Many people? Few people? Or people coming and going? So I made two set lists. Just in case. Noisy: more up-tempo pieces, Quiet: more calm ones. In the end, it turned out a fine mix of both.

I know you didn’t ask, but I will answer anyway... If I had to choose between playing my own music or my arrangements of the works of Frank Zappa, I can only say that I am happy you didn’t ask. Because I wouldn’t know. But I do know that I always look forward to a gig, however small. I just love to play piano. And I am always honoured to do so in front of an audience.

Playing at Zappanale is, once again, a dream come true. I am much looking forward to my spot at the exhibition, but just as much to play with my buddy Kevin Crosby again. Who is, in my humble opinion, one of the greatest musicians I know. He also drinks a lot of coffee, but we agreed I would never mention that.

UniMuta : I'm convinced that Kevin will be happy that you didn't mention that  :-)
Thanks for your time. Safe travels & see you soon in ZappaTown.

Fred will be performing at Zappanale on
Friday, July 14, 2023, at The Mystery Stage
 - with Kevin Crosby as The All New Frankly Don’t-Wop Duo
Sunday , July 16, 2023, at The Exhibit Room (in the centre of Bad Doberan)

And make sure to check out Fred’s music (including his Zappa tribute albums) on Bandcamp:
https://fredhandl.bandcamp.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment