Saturday, November 5, 2022

MIKE KENEALLY - THE SCAMBOT HOLIDAY SPECIAL

Originally made available as a digital download through Mike Keneally’s website store, “The Scambot Holiday Special” got re-released on Bandcamp last week.

Mike mentioned Frank Zappa in the liner notes:
Two days ago (Dec. 4) was the fifteenth anniversary of Frank Zappa's passing. I've been obsessively listening to his music in the car for several months without being specifically conscious of the upcoming significance of Dec. 4, but when I realized yesterday what day it was, I was struck by how strongly Frank's presence has been exerting itself in my life lately. Sending out strong love and gratitude to Frank right now.
Possibly as a result of all that, I think he had an unusually strong influence on the construction of The SCAMBOT Holiday Special, but I also feel strong echoes of Firesign Theatre in it, and of Brendon Small's work on Home Movies. And also, very specifically, the influence of variety TV shows from the '60s to the present. So that's a little listing of some of the influences on this insane little thing.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment