Sunday, June 5, 2022

THE ED PALERMO BIG BAND - I'VE GOT NEWS FOR YOU

  • the ed palermo big band: i've got news for you
        (2021, cd, usa, sky cat records)
I didn't want to order this CD through Bandcamp as Belgium has translated the new European custom regulations in the most ridiculous way. A customs handling fee of 15 euro plus 21% on value and postage is making ordering stuff from outside of Europe a ludicrous exercise.
A standard CD that one orders from outside of Europe just doubles in price.

On the other hand, I do like to be surrounded by objects that I love and like, and the latest Ed Palermo Big Band fits this definition...
A quick search did not show any shops or distributors on the European mainland that were about to import the album and that's when my pal Danny came to the rescue. He had convinced the fine people of Mandaï to import a handful of copies of the album.

So it took a little while, but I'm extremely glad to be able to give the latest Ed Palermo Big Band album an actual physical spin.
Great stuff. And although I miss Ed's famous mash-ups or subtle Zappa references, "I've Got News For You" is one superb album.
As the album's subtitle explains, "I've Got News For You" is dedicated to Edgar Winter. Most of the pieces that can be found on the CD were written by Edgar and/or Johnny Winter.
Add Robben Ford, Katie Jacoby and some fine vocalists to the amazing Ed Palermo Big Band and you know what to expect.
Recommended listening !!


No comments:

Post a Comment