I enjoyed the four days of music by making choices. I picked out the bands that I really wanted to see and I deliberately stayed away from other ones.
Not because they did not sound interesting but only to avoid an overload.
Also, with Rockradio streaming the concerts on YouTube, I was hoping to catch up with some of the concerts I missed at a later stage.
Zappanale's Sunday morning started with Dutch band HALA.
I skipped seeing them live, but looking at the video, they sure sounded fine.
Contrary to Friday and Saturday, where we had high energy bands kicking off (respectively Doom Gong and Octafish), Sunday went for a softer approach.
Here's HALA, performing at the smaller Arf Stage.
If you want more HALA, check out their Bandcamp page:
https://halabandpage.bandcamp.com/
At 14h00, the Hilo Jazz Orchestra took the main stage.
This was something I really wanted to experience live and I enjoyed it a lot !
The band played a very long set but it felt like it was over in a flash.
Great vocals, excellent solos and superb musicianship.
Happiness all around. Both on stage and in the audience.
Top !!
After the Hilo Jazz, it was time for the Miserablen Husos on the Arf Stage.
Zappa in Hessisch (German).
We had already seen most of the bandmembers on Saturday as part of the Filthy Brillos band.
I only caught part of this concert as we also mixed and mingled (and got something to eat) but what I heard and saw sounded great.
With Chato Segerer on bass !
Great fun. And these guys can play !!
And then, it started raining again. It wasn’t raining as heavily as we’d seen earlier but it did mean that we had to watch the Mahavishnu Project show from in the big tent.
Still a nice view and excellent sound.
Having seen a large part of the amazing Mahavinshnu Project's Saturday show, where they performed the music of the Mahavishnu Orchestra, I guess my expectations were set a bit too high.
Sure, an excellent performance, but I would have preferred a bit less Jan Hammer & Jeff Beck and some more fusion Zappa, although the rendition of 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers' brought tears to my eyes...
Anyway, the nitpicking aside, it was great to see this live.
The YouTube broadcast got cut halfway through the show, which is a pity, but it will give you a taste of what it was like:
The Mahavishnu gig was followed by the Goodbye Session.
Gregg Bendian (Mahavishnu Project) who was asked to lead the session, mentioned that the wanted to avoid having forty musicians on the stage.
He also would like to know in advance who would be participating so that he could discuss the pieces that he would like to perform, for which he would prefer a piece by Jeff Beck, one by Mahavishnu and one by Frank Zappa.
I guess not all musicians were that familiar with the music that Gregg proposed, so he switched it to an improvisation, leading into a FZ guitar piece.
An excellent decision.
Next to the Mahavishnu Project, we recognized members of the Hilo Jazz Orchestra, and Fred Händl.
Completely saturated, we did not stay for Putan Club.
Nevertheless, happy.
Very happy.
Glad to have seen these beautiful concerts live.
And to have shared this experience with some fine people from around the world.
Zappanale rules !
No comments:
Post a Comment