Monday, February 6, 2023

LONDON

I happened to be in London last week. Inspired by my pal Philippe, I took the opportunity to visit some record shops. Let's call it the Soho-tour.
Going up Shaftesburry Ave from Picadilly Circus and then taking a left on Wardour Street, my first stop was Sounds Of The Universe Records.


Linked with the "Soul Jazz label", and quite an exotic range of music: reggae, latin music, dub, beats,...
I had hoped to find a copy of Paque's "Akaliko" album, but with no avail.
Paque recorded and released a piece entitled 'Dinosaur Zappa'. Out on 12" and on their "Akaliko" album... How about that fuzz guitar?


"Reckless Records" was literally only a turn away.


I'll definitely revisit Reckless Records when I have some extra time. Impressive collection and friendly staff. When I asked them if they had Andy Blade's "Plastic Penny And The Strange Wooden Horse", and they told me that they didn't have it, they even advised me to check out Sister Ray on the other side of the street.
Nice chaps.
Here's the demo for Andy Blade's version of FZ's 'Let's Make The Water Turn Black. Eventually, he would release the final version on "Plastic Penny".




And, yes, Sister Ray will is on my revisit list as well.
Alternative, punk, rock, including some rare old Mothers albums. I should have done my homework and brought my list of Zappa albums with me. Anyway, not 'just' a punk shop.

The next place to visit was Phonica Records. The techno beats caught me a bit off guard... I even forgot to take a picture of the front of the shop...
Maybe next time.
Maybe...

And then there was Rough Trade.
I remember visiting oneof the London Rough Trade shop during one of my previous visits, but that most certainly was not their Soho shop.
Based in the cellar, below a clothes store, and almost completely focusing on new releases, this wasn't what I expected.
I should have picked up the vinyl version of J Dilla's "Donuts". Next time.


And then, finally, the reason for this record store short track: Third Man Records.


Third Man Records re-released Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica".
A coloured vinyl edition as part of their subscription package in 2018 and made available separately to members in 2021.
Fortunately, they also produced a 'regular' re-issue on black vinyl.

"Special thanks to Paul R. Dickinson Jr. for providing us with the original Trout Mask Replica cover photograph which we thought had been lost to time."
"2012 return by W.B. Note: The years in storage in Warners were not kind to Trout Mask Replica. The masters seriously suffer from oxide loss, primarily at the head of each of the four master reels. Fortunately, FZ had Dick Kunc make "safeties." These actually sound better than the Originals and are in excellent condition but alas, incomplete. This edition of Trout Mask Replica is from the ZFT Vault protection copies, transferred at 96K 24B, except for Frownland and Hair Pie: Bake 2 which are from the original damaged master tapes transferred to direct stream digital at UMRK.
DSD workstation provided by Gus Skinas, Super Audio Center.
Vaultmeisterment & Transfers by Joe Travers, UMRK, 2012."

Mission accomplished, and, yes, it did fit in my suitcase  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment