Friday, December 23, 2022

DEVIN TOWNSEND - LIGHTWORK

  • devin townsend: lightwork
        (2022, 2cd, europe, inside out music)
As I take recommendations from my musical friends pretty serious, I just had to check out Devin Townsend's "Lightwork" album.
I went for the "Lightwork (Deluxe Edition)" which in this case implies that there is a second, companion disc entitled "Nightwork".

And, yes, I'm quite happy with "Lightwork".
Every review that I had come across mentioned that this was Devin's most accessible albums up until now. I'm not familiar enough with Devin's complete discography to agree or to disagree, but I do know that it has (t)his typical and easily recognisable sound. A bit bombastic at times, and vocals that can switch to screaming every once in a while, but I like it lot and it fits the music perfectly.

Track number six has Jonas Hellborg on bass and features a guitar solo by none other than Mike Keneally. The perfect additional spicing.

Steve Vai and Mattias Eklundh also contributed to "Lightworks", as did  Anneke van Giersbergen.

Recommended listening.

Here's 'Starchasm, Pt.2' with a Steve Vai touch and Anneke van Giersbergen on vocals !


No comments:

Post a Comment