Monday, January 25, 2010

BEEFHEART : THROUGH THE EYES OF MAGIC


beefheart: through the eyes of magic
by john 'drumbo' french
(2010, book, uk, proper music publishing)

I just finished the first seven chapters of this breath-taking book.
I'm at page 134 of a total of 860 pages of this gorgeous hardback.

"Beefheart : Throught The Eyes Of Magic" is incredible.
Period.

As I said, I'm only at page 134, where the band is about to record the early A&M singles, so I sort of finished the pre-A&M days.
John French talked to everyone who was involved in these early days of Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band.
Classmates, friends and fellow musicians of all of the early band members, ... You name it, they're all there.
And from these interviews, John draws a picture of what happened and of how one thing led to another.

Amazing. There are so many things that I had never heard of, so many things that I didn't know...

This is essential reading for every Beefheart and Zappa fan.

Fascinating.
Let me get back to you on this in a couple of days...
I have to read on...

http://www.properdistribution.com

No comments:

Post a Comment