Sunday, July 3, 2011

MC HACEK - FEATURING OURSELVES




It must have been shortly after the Bozzio / O'Hearn / Machacek "Out Trio" release that I first heard about Alex Machacek. 2006, probably.
And when I actually saw and heard the DVD, I was immediately sold. I started looking around for his solo stuff and for other projects that Alex had participated in. I actually did find some very impressive albums, including the recent project he did with Marco Minnemann's drum track, and, of course, Eddie Jobson's UKZ album.



And I don't know where I read it, but Alex Machacek had an album out that was entitled "Mc Hacek - Featuring Ourselves". It was even said that this album contained a compositions called 'Zapzarapp'. Unfortunately, this album was nowhere to be found.



And then, a couple of weeks ago, luck was on my side when I came across a copy through the internet. The album arrived about ten days ago or so, and I've been spinning it ever since.
Mc Hacek is a quartet: guitar, bass, mallets and drums, and, yes, it was Alex Machacek's project. And the music is just fabulous. It defines what I like about music. Think guitar, Think Zappa. Think Steve Vai's "Flex-Able", think Weather Report and add a little Machacek sauce.
The 'Zapzarapp' is great, but so is "Jazzquiz - Hard Version", and so is what they do with Charlie Parker's 'Donna Lee', and all of the other stuff.



If you have never heard Alex Machacek play, you're missing out on something.
Essential listening !!


No comments:

Post a Comment