Tuesday, August 15, 2023

ZAPPA BOOTLEGS...

The world of illegal, unauthorized and money-making releases (= bootlegs) has changed quite a bit the last couple of years.

We've seen radio show albums, which are not really bootlegs as they aren't illegal. They're 'just' unauthorized and released to make money.

There are the extremely limited vinyl albums as companies are offering to press vinyl albums in the range of 10, 25 or 50 copies of any recording you send them.

And the CD side is even worse.
There are the factory pressed CDR's that also come with factory pressed artwork.
But I've also seen homemade CDR's, with a printed label on the CDR (paper, plastic, or directly printed on the CDR) that are being offered for a ridiculous amount of money.
Often, it is very difficult to make the distinction, especially when one sees it for sale on the internet.

I bought bootlegs in the early days, when it was the only way to get to listen to some special stuff.
And then, of course, you start to collect them a bit as well.
But I'm very glad that Zappateers came along, sharing the recordings for free.
It liberated me from the urge to buy bootlegs (though exceptionally I still sin).

New, to me, is the Mexican "Eye Of The Storm" CDR record label. The recently released some Zappa titles. Mini LP sleeves with obi.
I guess it's a never-ending story.


-

-

-


No comments:

Post a Comment