The Sun Ra Arkestra Directed by Marshall Allen will be starting its first Scandinavian tour since 2014 with visits to Mandaljazz in Mandal, Norway on Saturday, July 2, the Nefertiti Jazz Club in Goteborg, Sweden on Thursday, July 7, the Copenhagen Jazz Festival (where the Arkestra headlines the night and closes the festival) at Jazzhouse in Copenhagen, Denmark on Friday, July 8, and the Kongsberg Jazz Festival in Kongsberg, Norway on Saturday, July 9.
The Arkestra's 60th Anniversary World Tour has two new USA dates with a Thursday, August 25, 2016 free outdoor concert at the Spruce Street Harbor Park in Philadelphia, PA and a Sunday, September 18, 2016 show at the New Hazlett Theater in Pittsburgh, PA. The band's third European tour of the year, which is still to be confirmed, has stops scheduled at the "Caught by the River Thames" Festival at Fulham Palace in London, England on Sunday, August 7, 2016 and at Headrow House in Leeds, England on Monday, August 8, 2016.
All the new performances are in addition to those previously announced to take place on Saturday, July 16, 2016 at the Constellation in Chicago, IL, on Sunday, July 17, 2016 at the Pitchfork Festival in Chicago, IL, on July 18, 2016 at the El Club in Detroit, MI, and on Sunday, August 21, 2016 when the Arkestra headlines the Fields Festival in Darlington, MD.
The 60th Anniversary of the Sun Ra Arkestra continues to be celebrated across the planet with Arkestra concerts, panels, lectures, film retrospectives, and other events that recognize the impact of the band on the sound and evolution of avant garde jazz.
Marshall Allen, as Musical Director of the Arkestra, is now in his 58th year of continuous activity within the Arkestra. Marshall has been in the Sun Ra Arkestra 21 years longer than Sun Ra himself, as he continues moving forward at light speed while the Arkestra travels the spaceways. .
The current concert itinerary of the Sun Ra Arkestra Directed by Marshall Allen is:
- Saturday, July 2, 2016 - Mandaljazz, Mandal, Norway. Show at 9:30 pm.
- Thursday, July 7, 2016 - Nefertiti Jazz Club, Hvitfeldtsplatsen 6, Goteborg, Sweden. Show at 7:00 pm.
- Friday, July 8, 2016 - Copenhagen Jazz Festival, Jazzhouse, Niels Hemmingsens Gade 10, Copenhagen, Denmark. Show at 9:00 pm.
- Saturday, July 9, 2016 - Kongsberg Jazz Festival, Energimolla, Kongsberg, Norway. Show at 12:00 midnight.
- Saturday, July 16, 2016 - Constellation, 3111 N. Western Ave., Chicago, IL. Show at 8:00 pm.
- Sunday, July 17, 2016 - Pitchfork Festival, Union Park, 1501 W. Randolph St., Chicago, IL. Show at 1:55 pm.
- Monday, July 18, 2016 - El Club, 4114 W Vernor Highway, Detroit, MI. Show at 8:00 pm.
- Sunday, August 7, 2016 - "Caught by the River Thames" Festival, Fulham Palace, Main Stage, London, SW6 England. Showtime TBA. TO BE CONFIRMED
- Monday, August 8, 2016 - Headrow House, Bramleys Yard, Leeds, England. Showtime TBA. TO BE CONFIRMED
- Sunday, August 21, 2016 - Fields Festival, 2564 Silver Road, Darlington, MD. Showtime TBA.
- Thursday, August 25, 2016 - Spruce Street Harbor Park, Columbus Blvd. at Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA. Free show from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm.
- Sunday, September 18, 2016 - New Hazlett Theater, 6 Allegheny Square East, Pittsburgh, PA. Show at 7:00 pm.
All 2016 Sun Ra Arkestra Directed by Marshall Allen 60th Anniversary World Tour dates continue to be in support of the "Babylon Live" CD release on the In + Out Records label. This CD was recorded live at the Babylon club in Istanbul, Turkey on May 21, 2014 during the first of four 2014 Sun Ra Centennial Arkestra European tours.