- frank out! featuring robert martin and albert wing: zappa spielt für bach
(2016, cd, ger, stiftung johann-sebastian)
The J.S.Bach Society has been organizing these "Zappa Spielt Für Bach" concerts for quite some years now. All in support of the restoration of the church organ and each time opening for the Zappanale festival.
In 2015, it was up to Zappa coverband Frank Out! and a series of special guests. My memories of the concert tell me that I wasn't too happy afterwards. Churches are not fit to host rock bands. There was way too much echoing and delay present, resulting in a very muddy sound.
Fortunately, German radio NDR was there to make a recording. The result, which I imagine to be taken directly from the soundboard, sounds really good. REALLY good.
I enjoyed listening to this concert again.
Lots of Zappa material. Great vocals by Robert Martin and Harry Seibel (!). Nice free jazz improv by Albert Wing. Excellent performances by all.
The band also performed a piece that was written by Robert Martin, called 'Devil Dance'. Nice.
thomas jung: keyboard, vocals
kai rothfuchs: guitar, vocals
harry seibel: vocals
george rademachter: guitar
jürgen kocher: bass
dieter steinmann: drums
robert martin: keyboard, vocals, french horn
albert wing: saxophone
siglinde koch- sembdner: harp
uwe warschkow: chromatic harmonica
- zoot allures (frank zappa)
- society pages / carolina hard-core ecstasy (frank zappa)
- trouble every day / zomby woof (frank zappa)
- what's new in baltimore? (frank zappa)
- arioso, f-dur, bwv (j.s. bach)
- siciliano, es-dur, bwv (j.s. bach)
- devil dance (robert martin)
- peaches en regalia (frank zappa)
- yo' mama / welcome to the united states (frank zappa)
- love of my life (frank zappa)
- whippin' post (greg alman)