Sunday, December 25, 2011

PRO BRASS - IN & OUT




When people ask me why I listen to bands and to records of bands that perform a Frank Zappa composition, the answer is simple: many of the most interesting people that I have met in my life have a connection with Zappa's music. So I assume that a band that performs one or more Zappa compositions is worth investigating.
And second, some of these performances are great.


I first heard about the Pro Brass band having recorded some Zappa stuff some four or five years ago. Unfortunately, the "In & Out" album on which these compositions could be found, was sold out. Too bad. The record company did tell me that it would be reprinted but didn't say when.
So when I stumbled across the album a couple of weeks ago, the brain said: 'Need this' and that was a good decision.
"In & Out" carries 4 Zappa compositions and they're very close to my favourite Zappa compositions, especially after listening to this record. 'Don't Eat The Yellow Snow', 'Echidna's Arf', 'Purple Lagoon', and 'Sofa'. All full blown. 12 minutes of pure enjoyment.
These are among the best performances of Zappa material that I've heard, and I've heard a few.
'The Purple Lagoon' is just superb. Transcribed from the "Zappa In New York" album.
You really need to hear this.

Here's Zappa's 1976 Philly version:


and here's 'Sofa' by the Pro Brass ensemble:
http://exposureroom.com/members/wysforce/5befde3404bd43c2864131ff72bc9f20/

No comments:

Post a Comment