Thursday, August 10, 2023

ENSEMBLE AMBROSIUS - THE ZAPPA ALBUM

  • Ensemble Ambrosius: The Zappa Album
        (2023, lp, Germany, cinquante fleurs / vinyle audiophile)
Originally released in 2000 on CD, the Ensemble Ambrosius’ “The Zappa Album” is an essential album for any Zappa fan.
A couple of months ago, the album got an exclusive re-release on vinyl for record shop JPC’s Cinquantes Fleurs / Vinyle Audiophile series.
The ensemble featured Olli Virtaperko (cello), Ere Lievonen (harpsichord), Jani Sunnarborg (bassoon), Tuukka Terho (lute), Jasu Moisio (oboe, glockenspiel), Jonte Knif (organ), Matti Vanhamþki (violin), Topi Lehtipuu (vocals), Tuomo Suni (violin).
All the pieces were arranged by Ere Lievonen or Olli Virtaperko.
This re-release has liner notes by Ali N. Askin.

Essential !!
  • Night School
  • Sofa
  • Black Page #2
  • Uncle Meat
  • Igor’s Boogie
  • Zoot Allures
  • Big Swifty
  • T’Mershi Duween
  • Alien Orifice
  • The Idiot Bastard Son
  • RDNZL
  • The Orange County Lumber Truck
  • Echidna’s Arf (Of You)
  • Inca Roads
  • G-Spot Tornado
I remember meeting the ensemble in Bad Doberan when my grumpy old buddy Luuk and I went to this Chinese restaurant in the center of Bad Doberan.
I thought I recognized the band (I had seen them in concert in Brugge) and the Finnish language gave it away, so Luuk and I joined them in conversation. In English.
I don't remember what we had for dinner or what we talked about. I only remember that it was fun.
Nice memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment