Wednesday, November 2, 2016

SUN RA / MERZBOW - STRANGE CITY

Officially licensed from Irwin Chusid of the Sun Ra estate, Cold Spring's Justin Mitchell negotiated rare and unreleased tracks from the Sun Ra archive to be remixed and treated by Masami Akita.

Masami Akita, as some my know, is none other than Merzbow, a Japanese noise artist who has released over 400 recordings !!

Cold Spring released both an LP and a CD and both have completely different material.
The CD includes : 'Livid Sun Loop' and 'Granular Jazz part 2',
while the LP includes 'Granular Jazz part 1', 'part 3' and 'part 4'.
The LP download does have a bonus track : 'BBC Mix'.

I like the idea, I like the concept and I think the artwork is great but, musicwise, this isn't exactly 'easy listening'. I don't mind experimental stuff and free improvisation and tape manipulations, but 'noise' takes it one step further.
I'll have to give it another listen at another occasion...



No comments:

Post a Comment