Sunday, July 8, 2012

MOSAE ZAPPA - - - PART 3 - - - THE LEX BRONKOWITZ ORCHESTRA

On June 1 and 2, Heerlen (NL) was the place to be. The Mosae Zappa festival hosted 5 bands, celebrating the music of Frank Zappa. The Lex Bronkowitz Orchestra opened day two.

You should know that the Lex Bronkowitz Orchestra is a project by Alexander Debus. Alexander, Alex or Lex, has been recording Zappa compositions for quite a number of years and has shared these on CDR. In my book, these recordings qualify as some of the most interesting reworkings / rearrangements of Zappa pieces that I have ever heard.
Early 2012, I heard that Alex was putting together a band to perform his arrangements, and that he was recording an album. Excellent news.
A little bit later, Tim and Chantal announced that the Lex Bronkowitz Orchestra was to perform their debut concert at Mosae. It made my day.

It's needless to say that my expectations were high, but the Lex Bronkowitz Orchestra succeeded in all aspects: the perfect Zappa blend, a great sound and a stunning performance, with a tip to the hat to Katharina Debus for stunning stage presence & vocals.
I loved it.

I can't wait to hear the actual album, and I guess I'm not the only one.
An audience recording of the Heerlen concert got posted on Zappateers.
  • 2012/06/02 concert "Mosae Zappa", Heerlen, The Netherlands
  • line-up
    Alexander 'Lex Bronkowitz' Debus: guitar * Carl Albrecht: bass * Roman Storch: drums * Peter Thomas: vibes * Katharina Debus: vocals
  • setlist
    Dupree's Paradise, Mr.Green Genes, Peaches, Catholic Fembot, Uncle Remus, Rdnzl, Big Swifty, Andy, Mother People, Outside Now
Here's a little video snippet to get you drooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment