- various artists: the roots of captain beefheart
(2009, cd, uk, snapper music sbluecd076)
This fabulous release got out a couple of months before the "Roots Of Frank Zappa" album that I talked about a couple of days ago.
Is it as good? Well, I sure think it is.
For "The Roots Of Captain Beefheart" the Snapper label has selected a fine collection of delta blues, free jazz and early L.A. doo-wop. The music that Don Vliet listened to when he was growing up.
This is a pretty good release.
It's an excellent combination of obscure and impressive material. I love it.
Check out the list:
- howlin' wolf: smokestack lightning
- muddy waters: she's alright
- bo diddley: diddy wah diddy
- john coltrane: bakai
- thelonius monk: monk's dream
- the nutmegs: story untold
- the turbans: when you dance
- mississippi fred mcdowell: 61 highway
- blind willie johnson: john the revelator
- big joe williams: providence help the poor
- howlin' wolf: moanin' at midnight
- cecil taylor: song
- ornette coleman: invisible
- muddy waters: don't go no farther
- howlin' wolf: i asked for water
- sunnyland slim: layin in my cell
- blind willie mctell: drive away blues
- tommy johnson: bye-bye blues