Monday, March 1, 2021

JOHN MAYALL BOX SET

John Mayall's "The First Generation 1965 - 1974" box set got released about a week ago.

35 CD's and a book.
Limited to 5000 copies.

It includes John's "Blues From Laurel Canyon" album, about his stay in L.A.
Originally released in 1968.
The track '2401' got its title from FZ's address at the time: 2401 Laurel Cayon Boulevard, aka the Log Cabin.

His autobiography, released in 2019, was entitled "Blues From Laurel Canyon - My Life As A Bluesman".

From Ugly Things
http://ugly-things.com/john-mayall-my-life-as-a-bluesman/

Mayall further ruminated about Laurel Canyon.

“The connection was getting there in the first place. It began with Frank Zappa. I met him in 1967 in Scandinavia, when he and the Mothers of Invention were playing there and we were in Copenhagen at the same time. So that’s where I met that crowd. ‘If you come to America, look me up.’ So I did.

“I stayed at Zappa’s cabin for the first part if my three week vacation. I never really left Hollywood and Laurel Canyon. It became the confirmation for me. That’s where I wanted to move eventually.”

On his epic Blues From Laurel Canyon album, Mayall penned a song about Zappa. “The feeling when you listen to the song ‘2401’ is the vibe you hear. For me it was a very eccentric household, really. Frank and Gail Zappa, at the center, were the grounding factor there. The sanest people on the planet. I think Frank really encouraged that, and he kind of collected oddballs and information about America and its culture.”

2019 Harvey Kubernik




No comments:

Post a Comment